Felinexpress Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Feline Forums > Cat Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcat hallucinations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: cat hallucinations
    Posted: 16 Dec 2007 at 12:22pm

My cat has been under a vet care this whole last week for a liver infection.  I thought he was going to die and had to force feed him. He has been on antibotics and he also is blind and is Diabetic which I give him shots for.  He started showing signs of inprovement yesterday by eating by himself and being more alert. he is 2 yrs old.

Problem-
This morning I heard a lot of noice like things hitting the walls etc.. It was my cat acting like he was seeing things and was running into the walls,  funiture basically anything in his way. I picked him up and seem to of calmed him down but he did it again.  I don't know how he mustered the energy to do this since he hasn't hardly walked this week.  Help what is going on!! its Sunday and my vet isn't open.  I'm trying to contact him but in the mean time can anyone give me any idea of what is going on?
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007 at 1:53pm
My first thought is that your cat might be going through a PTSD from all the stress he has been through. My second thought is that it could be a reaction to medication if they had to sedate him or do something similar. Because he is blind, he could be hearing things in the wall (I had that happen this summer) My cats were going nuts and jumping all over my one desk. I couldn't figure it out until I looked up an old flue overhead and heard and saw a beehive.

Another thought would be that while he was so ill something short-circuited in his brain, or he had a small stroke.

If he were mine, I would crate him. I would get a large dog crate, or even a cage- maybe you could borrow one? And just put him in there with all he needs; litter box, food, water bowl-make the water bowl something he can't easily knock over, and dribble some tuna juice in the water so he can find it.  I would also play classical music for him while he is confinement- a better bet is this CD here  http://harpist1.tripod.com/id32.html   This is really good to soothe frantic cats.

Another option is to spray the inside of the crate with Feliway Spray and purchase a Comfort Zone Room diffuser and plug that in. If he starts to stress about being inside such a confined space, carry him from room to room so he can stay with you and stay safe.

Definitely, call your vet on Monday and find out what medication he was given and what the vet recommends you do. He has been pretty sick, and if he was left overnight or longer at the vet's office, being blind, there is no telling how much terror he really feels.

Try to offer him as much comfort as you can, and I am sorry so much has been visited on him at such a young age.

Good luck with your kitty- He has to be so scared, and so must you be. So try and stay calm around him. I know when Tag one of my blind kitties was around me when I was upset, it would stress him out so much because he was so sensitive and he was picking up my stress as his.

Edited by scratch - 17 Dec 2007 at 4:55pm
eyesblue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 2:59pm

Thank you so much for your reply.  With a heavy heart I inform you my sweet baby kitty is gone.  After I asked the above question, I conforted him some more and went to the store and when I came back he had moved into the bathroom. He had soiled himself so I picked him up and was cleaning him up and he was so weak and then he just stopped breathing.  I tried CPR and heart massage to no avail.  I just feel so very sad for him he was a special kitty who had not been dealt a fair hand from the start.  I told him in his next life he will be healthy and he'll be able to see and that I'll be seeing him in the future.  I buried him in my yard with a can of food, some kitty milk and stuffed animal kitten and one of my shirts he always seem to like.  I keep expecting him to be waiting by the door for me with the other cats.  I just wish I could of done something :(  I went to the beach at sunset and said goodbye and told him the sun set on him today, but the sun will arise soon for him.  

Thanks much again for your advise, it was good.

Judy
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 3:40pm
Judy,

I am so sorry you lost your kitty. I have been rescuing for so many years now and I have lost kittens. Sometimes there are reasons behind the loss, othertimes there are no answers even after a necropsy. It could have been genetic- most kittens born blind have been exposed to distemper (never a good thing) and this can cause problems for the queen and her litter.  It's really hard to say why he died.

I hope you don't shut yourself off from loving another creature. Sounds to me like you have much to spare for the next cat in need.
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 10:57am
Out of respect for the poster who recently lost her cat, this posting is now closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic